Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Outgrowing my footed jammies

Tonight I am ruminating over the pain a certain person in my life has caused me. Different comments she has made to me, or to other people about me keep running through my mind, and the overall picture that I a get from them is that she really didn't think much of me, I seemed to fall short of her ideal in so many ways, and she spent over 10 years of her life trying to fix me... The exact quote for that one was, "She's hurt because she feels like she's put over 10 years of her life into you...". How the hell am I supposed to take that? What else could it mean but that she was trying to mold me, and unfortunately, I'm not turning out the way that she wanted me to... It sucks. It sucks because it hurts so deeply. The grown up part of me is going to have to have a sympathetic talk with the little hurt girl part of me, and be the comfort that I thought I'd always get from her.
Really, I am glad that the grown up part of me finally grew up enough to realize what was going on. To realize that I wasn't being allowed to grow as myself. I was being cut, and folded, and squeezed, and cajoled, and pushed, and manipulated into becoming her vision of what a woman should be.
I'm glad to finally be unfolding, mending the cuts, expanding, and ignoring everyone else's demands on me.
I do things now because I want to. I have a hell of a lot less resentment. The anger I've held in over the years has been slowly releasing, and is nearing the end of it's life. It's control over my emotions is gone. I can think freely now. It's a bittersweet relief, though, because with all this freedom comes a lack of the sweet comfort that was there along with the control. The "you just do as your told, and I will take care of everything for you, and I love you sooo much that I want to help you live your life, and teach you how to live it right!" It was the mommy I'd always wanted. But my little girl grew into a teen, and my teen into a young woman, and suddenly all that care was pinching me. I'd outgrown it like a pair of footed pajamas. They used to be so warm and comforting, and they still are warm, but they just feel constricting now in a lot of places... and when I first took them off, I was freezing! But then, I found my own size of clothing, and it may not be as totally encompassing as those footed jammies, but the freedom is worth it.
Now I just have to figure out how to get some warmth out of my other relationships. Being abandoned twice, no, three times in my life, has just about eaten up all the trust I can muster. Faith in adults is hard for me to come by.

No comments: